Tips on tricep dips.
This exercise will work your glutes, hamstrings, your core and lower back muscles. Before you give it a go, look at the teaching points below.
- Lie on your back on the mat with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor
- Raise your hips off the floor so that your body is in a straight line from knees to shoulders
- Pause for 3 seconds in this positioning before lowering your hips back down to the floor
This is a great excercise you can do at home to firm up your hips and glutes, why not give it a go?
For more information on the Health Club at Donnington Valley Hotel & Spa, and to try our 6 week membership offer see our website for detailshttp://www.donningtonvalley.co.uk/spa_trialmembership.asp
An easy free weights exercise that targets the three major muscle groups in your lower body, your glutes, hamstrings and quads. Here’s how to perform the exercise safely.
- Pick up a pair of dumbbells and hold them by your side
- Take a big step forward so you are standing in a split stance
- Your front foot should be flat to the floor, with the heel on your back foot raised off the floor
- Lower your back leg until your knee is just off the floor
- Pause at the bottom of the movement before pushing yourself back up to the standing position
Complete all your reps on the same leg before swapping over to work the other leg.
If you would like more information on these exercises or to book an
appointment with a personal trainer call 01635 551188
Here are some effective exercises to get your abs in shape this summer.
- Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground
- Put your hands beside your head
- Bring your knees up to about a 45-degree angle and slowly go through a bicycle motion
- Touch your left elbow to your right knee, then your right elbow to your left knee
- Breathe evenly throughout the exercise
- To make it easier, keep your feet flat on the floor and go through the bicycle motion one leg at a time.
Long Arm Crunch
- Lie on your back with your arms over your head with hands clasped and arms close to your ears
- Keep your knees bent with feet flat on the floor
- Contract your abs and lift your shoulder blades off the floor.
- Lower and repeat for 12-16 reps
- An easier option is to keep hands on your temples.
We have a wide range of membership options available and many popular classes at Donnington Valley Health Club and Spa. Take a look at our website for more information.
Donnington Valley Golf Club is home to a selected group of PGA Professionals on hand at the pro shop, offering expert advice on purchases, and hints and tips on how to improve your game. This week, one of our pros, Dieter Strohbach, offers us his top ten tips for an improved game:
- Make sure you have good posture
- Correct your grip if incorrect, you will never see a good golfer with a bad grip
- Always aim where you want the ball to go
- Swing easy, don’t try and beat the ball into submission
- Great impact with the ball will encourage great shots
- Hold your finish position as this will ensure good balance
- Balance, rhythm and timing are key
- Look after your clubs and they will look after you
- A good pair of shoes is a must. If your feet are sore, you won’t play well
- Practice, lessons and more practice will revolutionize your game. If you would like more expert advice, stop by the pro shop on your next visit to Donnington Valley Golf Club and enquire about our fitting service and group or individual tuition.
Be sure to make the most of summer foods while they’re in season. Read on to find out more about two of my summer favourites, asparagus and strawberries.
British asparagus has a short season and is available from May to June. With this in mind it is well worth making the most of this lovely intense savoury flavour whilst it is at its best. Apart from being delicious, asparagus has high levels of vitamins A and C, iron and potassium, perfect for a healthy lifestyle.
If the spears are quite large simply break off the larger end of the spear and throw the woody ends away. Asparagus will naturally break where the woody stems give way to the tender part of the vegetable. You can use this marvellous vegetable for a starter, light lunch or incorporate it into a main meal. One of my favourites, which we make here in the Winepress, is simply to grill the asparagus and serve with a garlic mayonnaise. The simple preparation enhances the flavour of this wonderful ingredient, making it a wonderful seasonal treat. Alternatively why not try using asparagus in a creamy risotto or in a salad with bacon and salad leaves topped with a poached egg.
The arrival of the first British strawberries into the kitchen always brings a smile to my face. For me they are a true taste of summer.
Strawberries have been a key ingredient for classic British summer foods for many years. Desserts such as Eton Mess, summer pudding and the classic strawberries and cream are a few to mention. To get the very best flavour, I recommend eating them at room temperature, or even placing them in the sun for an hour or so, as this brings out their natural sweet flavour and colour.
As a delicious indulgent treat, I like to dip whole strawberries into melted dark chocolate and set aside until firm. You could serve these as petit fours for a dinner party or for children’s parties.
Strawberries need not be confined to the dessert menu, why not thinly slice strawberries and place them over a summer salad – delicious! Using a little balsamic vinegar or freshly ground black pepper enhances their fresh flavour. Make the most of these seasons’ strawberries and enjoy them in as many ways as possible, easy to do as they are so versatile. Why not let us know about any unusual combinations you have tried.
Sous Chef at Donnginton Valley Hotel and Spa
When preparing for a holiday we know that everyone wants to look their best! The best abdominal exercise to get that tummy into shape is the plank. This not only works the top part of your tummy muscles but also the lower abdomen.
There is no need for any equipment this exercise can be done in your own home.
Follow the steps below and you will soon see the results.
First of all if you have any injuries or back problems consult your doctor first.
Start off on the lower options and as you practice you will be able to up your game.
- Lie on a mat tummy down on the ground.
- Bend your arms and bring them underneath your body lifting your chest and upper back off the ground.
- If you’re a beginner leave your knees and legs on the mat. Keep your back flat and hold in your abs and bottom. Hold this position for as long as possible and then repeat.
- To add a higher intensity, bring your body up onto your toes into a plank position. It is extremely important to keep your body flat and not to let your bottom go up or let your hips drop.
Hold this position for as long as possible and then repeat.
Created in the 90’s by celebrity fitness trainer and choreographer Alberto Perez from Colombia. Zumba, which means ‘ to move fast and have fun’ in Spanish, was created taking inspiration from traditional salsa, meringue and samba dance styles, combined with intense Latin music tracks.
Zumba has been one of the fastest growing fitness classes all around especially in the USA and is now taking the UK by storm. It is a fun, energetic and easy to follow class with body benefits that everyone will love.
With classes now starting at Donnington Valley Hotel & Spa Zumba is right on your doorstep. It is a perfect class to come along with your friends and family and have fun for an hour whilst having a work out at the same time.
5 reasons to do Zumba:
One: It is a fitness class like no other. One hour that will make you smile and laugh with a routine is easy to follow without becoming boring as the steps and moves are so varied.
Two: It’s a fitness class which works your body but feels like fun. Whilst with friends and family having fun, this class can seriously change and sculpture your body. Bring on the Bikini’s!
Three: Build up your stamina. Want to get stronger? Zumba classes will strengthen your core and it exercises all parts of your body.
Four: It is perfect for people with all levels of fitness. You can manage the class at your own pace and build up your strength and stamina class after class.
Five: Want to move your hips like the ladies in strictly come dancing? As Zumba is based on salsa, merengue and samba you will enjoy a class full of Latin rhythms. Shaking your hips from side to side before you know it, it will become part of your life!
So come on down to Donnington Valley hotel & Spa and enjoy some party time!